Monday, March 6, 2017

Estes Skydart II #3229 Build, Part 13, Gluing On The Wing


The center line of the wing was sanded for a stronger glue bond.

I wrapped some old 220 grit around a round pencil. The eraser end gave a good cushion for sanding.







The primer was scraped off the glue line.
A line of glue was ran down the body tube.
On the left side is the glue line formed using the "V" pinch of the fingers explained in an earlier post.

The wing and main body tube were set down on a flat countertop.
As the glue starts to set, go back and double check the alignment. A round body tube on this flat wing can slide around a bit.

4 comments:

  1. Chris - did you use the double-glue joint technique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      No, I didn't use the double glue on this one. I didn't really want the large wing to "grab". I knew I'd be making adjustments. This wing/body tube joint would be impossible to fillet, the inside angle is too sharp. So I used a fair amount of glue to get strong adhesion and just kept an eye on it while it started to set up.

      Delete
  2. Might be a good time to use a jig to hold the body tube square - if that's the right term for keeping a round shape in place! Soon as my two current projects are done I think the Skydart is next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      Well, I did place a bottle of glue on either side of the tube to keep it steady as the glue dried.

      Delete