In his launch announcement email club president Brian Coyle mentioned possible high winds. We had a wind gust of 37 mph! I normally prefer parachute recovery, but today I used some streamers.
The Orlando ROCK field isn't huge. I typically launch B and C engines here. Today, I used more A engines. I know: "MORE POWER!"
The Odd'l Rockets F-16 prototype had a A8-3 launch to about 150'.
Even with the wind and large fin surface area the flight was vertical. A long streamer brought it home with no damage.
The nose cone was half stuck in the dirt but the clear canopy stayed in place.
Caden and his Dad launched their Fliskit A.C.M.E. Spitfire with a D12-3.
It was turning into the wind when the ejection charge popped the parachute.
Two more A engine launches for me . . .
The FLYING ENGINE MOUNT spool was boosted with an A10-0t engine to about 75'. A good fast spin recovery slowed the fall.
Next was the RRR STARLINER with another A8-3. I re-used the same streamer from the F-16 for recovery. Estimated altitude was 150'.
There was either rod whip or a wind gust that threw off the initial boost of my Dr. Zooch ARIES STICK.
It straightened out and put in a good flight to about 150'. I didn't use a streamer on this, the kit supplied parachute was only 6" diameter.
Roger Allen wore his Blue Angel rocket like a loose tie between flights.
With an Estes altimeter on board it reached 137' with a A8-3.
The ejection charge in the Estes B6-4 didn't even crack through the clay cap. At an estimated apogee of 250', the Estes SUPER ALPHA nosed in and stuck the landing.
BT-60 based models are a favorite for their manageable size and strength. With the soft ground there was no crimps in the body tube and the nose cone was barely scratched.
Five launches, five recoveries with just a few scratches.