Saturday, July 15, 2017

Estes Apollo Little Joe II Build, Part 39, Main Body Shock Cord Anchor

I'm not painting the lower half of the body for a few more days. I want to be sure the paint is fully dry. This paint drying delay has thrown off my posting schedule - hang in there!
The paint feel dry to the touch, for now I can glue in the shock cord anchor.

I went back to the original Centuri instructions to mount the shock cord. I don't like attaching a rubber shock cord to the engine mount, too close to the ejection charge.

In larger body tubes I had always liked this Centuri method, the simplicity of using a split piece of body tube to anchor the shock cord.
I cut a 1" long section from some scrap Quest 50mm tubing. The tube split was cut with scissors. The body tube piece in the Centuri illustration looks to be about 3/8" tall.

Directly opposite the cut split a 1/4" wide elastic was tied on using a Duncan Uni Knot. Centuri had you attach the shock cord with narrow strips of tape.

This body tube strip was much narrower than the diameter of the Little Joe II. It was gently bent to make the it fit the inside of the tube.
The glasseine was roughed up with 220 grit sandpaper. It was glued in, far enough down not to interfere with the shoulder of the command module.

No comments:

Post a Comment