Monday, July 3, 2017

Old Carded Mercury Capsule


After seeing Manuel Mejia's card stock Mercury Capsule from Saturdays launch, I asked him to send the PDF to me to share.

This looks like a free premium from the early 1960s. Many companies sent these out to schools or would mail them out if you sent a letter asking for information. McDonnell Aircraft produced the Mercury Redstone capsule.
To get the PDF of the Friendship 7 capsule: CLICK HERE
This one perfectly fits the diameter of a Pringle's can.




As a kid I remember making card stock models. Sometimes you'd find them on the back of cereal boxes.

This one reminds me of the old Estes Mercury Capsule kit. This PDF is larger, better drawn and prints up black, not white with black lines..

To get the back story, CLICK HERE

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    Here is a place to download the Mercury Friendship 7 capsule with out e-mailing you.

    http://www.ninfinger.org/models/papermercury.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank,
      Thanks for letting me know, I've been to Ninfinger's a thousand times and never saw it there. I've made the edit so a modeler can get the PDF directly.

      Delete
  2. I had built one of these to hang from the ceiling in my sons room about 15 years ago. I also had a cardstock "skylab" that hung next to it.
    Model forums located in the UK have lots of cardstock builders of almost every subject imaginable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moontana,
      There's a bunch of card stock models out there. I've seen a couple of the larger ones converted for flight but they really aren't strong enough to get through a couple launches and landings.

      Delete