Sunday, July 9, 2017

NEFAR Launch July 8, 2017

I know, I complain every year about the heat of Summer launches.
The crowds weren't large and the wind was calm. Everything closed down about 1:30 p.m., some dark clouds and lightning could be seen coming our way from the Southwest.

The FLYING PORTA PAD (Hex - 3 variation) was first up with a C6-3. I couldn't see much of the flight, the rocket flew directly into the sun. I'd guess 100', that's what Estes says anyway.

Here's the third flight of the Odd'l Rockets prototype F-104 STARFIGHTER. With a C6-5 is was very straight and stable to about 700'. At ejection the parachute only make it half way out of the body tube. It fell flat almost like it was trying to glide. (Hmmmm) The rear stabilizer was cracked at the root edge, an easy fix.



I finally got around to flying the B32M SPIKE, a kitbash of the Estes STM-12.
Very stable with a D12-5 engine to an estimated 700'.
There was some interesting damage at ejection. I use LONG shock cords but there was some snap back. The coupler hit the leading edge of the lower fin, not the upper fin but the lower fin. Yeah, figure that one out.
I'll show the fix here on the blog.




Next up, the 13th flight of the OOP Quest TOMAHAWK ACBM. There was some coning towards the end of the coast. Probably caused by the forward fin wing and that open intake on the bottom.
The C6-5 engine got it to an estimated 550'. Full 12" chute deploy and no fin root cracks this time. (This one has a habit of root edge breaks on the paper boat tail transition.)



Here's Steve Moon's take on the Estes Executioner.
Look close at the theme.
The vinyl trim shows various methods of how a death penalty could be, well . . . "Executed". Very cool.
I wanted to test the Enerjet smoking nose cone on the new Estes NIKE SMOKE. I loaded it up with talcum powder, in the process getting it all over my jeans and car trunk.
I was anticipating a smoking contrail during boost but the C6-5 didn't have the air speed to stir up the intake tube and force the powder out the side of the nose cone.
Ignition, boost - and nothing. Great stable flight to 550' but no smoke! Ejection and recovery were good with no damage when picked up.
I walked past the RSO table and blew into the nose cone. Sure - now plenty of smoke, lots and lots of white smoke.
This one might need the old Enerjet E24-7 for more velocity and air directed into the internal BT-5 and powder.

Five quick flights and a drive home in the rain. Good, stable third test flight of the Odd'l F-104. Minor damage on two models.

2 comments:

  1. That's actually the new Estes Executioner Chris. That's why I left the name the same, and just changed the theme. The F-104 is a great looking rocket. I'm glad the damage was minimal.

    ReplyDelete