Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Liquid Glue Spills TIP



If I could find the reference post on Facebook I'd give credit to the person who posted it.

Plastruct Plastic Weld bottles and Super Glue bottles can tip over and spill thin glue all over your work surface and model. Super Glues won't spill much but the Plastruct liquid goes everywhere! The bottle is easy to knock over when you wipe the excess glue on the bottle lip.

Here's what happened to my plastic Lap Desk. I was just glad the glue didn't hit the model, my clothes or furniture. Who knows what the solvent would dissolve!
The Facebook post suggested making a moldable base out of Silly Putty. Roll a ball of putty and press the base of the glue bottle into it. The molded divot will stabilize the wobbly bottle. Using modeling clay might leave an oily residue on your workbench.

There are two rocket vendors that sell laser cut glue caddys, but this might be a inexpensive quick fix the next time you are near a toy store.

EDIT: So I'm at WalMart picking up some dowels for the next F-104 prototype and saw some Silly Putty. I bought the two pack for $1.98. Good thing I got two eggs, there isn't much putty in there.

I combined the two putty pats and rolled them into a ball. The bottle of Plastruct was pressed into the middle. Some putty was pushed out of the sides, that was rolled up over the sides of the bottle.

The liquid glue bottle is much more stable stuck in the Silly Putty. When the putty is peeled up from the table there is no marks or oil stains on the wood table.

10 comments:

  1. That's an interesting way to dirty the bottle. I am extremely careful, but accidents do happen. I lost about 3/4 of a bottle of no clean flux when the cable from my soldering iron hit it in the way back to its stand. I have a pound of silly putty in a bag. I will try this next time I need to use my Plastruct solvent. And yes, I said a pound of silly putty. Have any idea what it is used for in this quantity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      Where did you come across a pound of Silly Putty? I have no idea how to use a pound of the stuff. But I did find this: http://shop.crayola.com/shop-by-brand/silly-putty/silly-putty---5-lb.-block-0800010001.html

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Not heavy enough and would probably melt in the Florida heat.

      Delete
    2. Metal is right,
      It's not very heavy and much more expensive than other nose weight materials. For nose weight I still use modeling clay from the Dollar Store.

      Delete
  3. If I remember an article I read years ago it's used by amateur telescope makers to hold glass lense blanks for grinding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      Interesting, I did a search for other Silly Putty uses, didn't find that one!

      Delete
  4. That's interesting abs even more obscure than our uses. I'll see if Chris knows, then fess up, if he doesn't. I will say that it is hobby related in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct Moontana. The camo pattern on my Tamiya Leopard 2A6 was very daunting, so I did lots of research on masking the pattern. I found the silly putty masking technique and that was it. If I could post pictures, I would show you the result. A couple of mistakes, but in general, it looks awesome.

      Delete