Friday, August 31, 2012

Midget Clone Build Part 4 Lug Standoff

The Estes kit had a LL-2B lug that was  2 3/8" long. Probably too long for a model this size.
That length of lug will stick out like a sore thumb. A little like a 1/8" lug on a BT-5 model.

The lug supplied in the Semroc Repro kit is slightly shorter at 2 1/4" long, with no dowel standoff.

The picture shows the brown end of the laser cut lug and the LONG dowel standoff.

Sometimes when I build a kit I'll make compromises to improve the overall visual balance of the model.
I'm going to use the dowel standoff. That's what was on my first Midget I got as a free kit in 1969.



That 2 3/8" long lug seems long.
I decided to cut it down to the length of the root edge forward of the shroud.




I'll be jumping around the instructions on this build.

The dowel was cut slightly long and the (now) shorter lug glued on.

After it had dried, the dowel was sanded flush with the ends of the launch lug.

No comments:

Post a Comment