Sunday, September 27, 2015

Dr. Zooch Ares I-X Build, Part 1, Parts



I've built a Zooch Ares before, but not this version.
The Ares 1 build was posted on rocketreviews.com CLICK HERE
This was back in 2010. The review had posted pictures of the completed model, but not much build information.

The parts are all good quality, typical of the Zooch kits.

Some parts of interest:
The 1/4" wide elastic is 18" long.
The Kevlar is a loose wrap, almost like a ribbon. I'll probably leave it off this one and substitute some longer elastic.
Four small LAS nozzles cut from ends of fancy toothpicks.
The screw eye seems too small.



Zooch nose cones are pre-weighted and have the hole plugged with wood filler.
The screw eye goes in off center, to the side of the filler.

2 comments:

  1. I've build a half dozen or more Zooch kits and have always thought the screw eyes seemed like they'd pop right out because they're so small. But I've never replaced one with something bigger and I've never had a problem with one. YMMV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe,
      Good to hear from you.
      I'm probably being too careful, but I did end up going with a larger screw eye. I've had a few screw eyes pull out over the years, I like screw eyes with a little more grab. I usually have to switch out Estes screw eyes, the threads are very small and not very deep.

      Delete