Monday, September 28, 2015

Flat Finish to Semi-Gloss? TIP

I wanted to paint the upper tube on the Estes QCC Explorer gloss grey.
I didn't have any gloss grey but I did have some grey primer. Grey primer is a flat finish.

Years back I painted a Estes Mosquito phosphorus orange. Phosphorus colors are flat, rough finishes. I wanted it smoother and a bit shinier.

I started rubbing the dried flat finish paint with a soft cloth.
Here's the two upper tubes from the two QCC Explorers I'm making right now.

On the left is the grey primer, a dull no gloss finish.
On the right is the other tube after a brisk rubbing with a paper towel. I also ended up using some polishing compound to bring it to a higher gloss.

This is not a high gloss finish but a semi-gloss. I would assume a decal would stick better to this glossier finish.

This polishing tip might be a little tough to do in tight or inside areas. Be careful, you could scar a softer balsa wood fin or nose cone.

5 comments:

  1. Darn, just last weekend I bought Winter Grey for my Aerotech Mustang. This is a great tip and will definitely try it out next time I need something grey.
    -Matt D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,
    Just remember that this is not "gloss" but gives a flat finish a good sheen.
    It works great in a rare case when you don't have a certain color in gloss. It saves you from having to buy a new can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pretty cool. I painted a rocket with some Rust-O Winter Grey last year, but as you've mentioned with some new Rust-O cans, some of the paint came out kind of rough.

    I actually really like the look of a rocket covered in primer. It looks really solid somehow. I might try this trick and see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a gloss finish does not come out with a uniform sheen over the whole model. I have used this trick to buff the paint into a uniform sheen to avoid remasking and re-spraying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    ReplyDelete