Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Quest Magnum Sport Loader #3012 Build, Part 9, Fins



Another fin alignment guide that doesn't match up!
I made my own, again.

The fins and body tube seams were treated with CWF and sanded smooth.
The tubes, fins and payload section got a shot of primer filler and smooth sanding.
These two sets of fins are not in line with each other.
The wide lower fins are glued on 120 degrees, evenly spaced.
The rear edge of the large fins are 1/4" up from the end of the tube.
After the first fin was glued on a strip of masking tape was wrapped to help with the even alignment of the leading edge.

The smaller upper fins are glued 3" from the end and between the larger fins.


The launch lug and standoff are glued 7" from the rear and centered between a large and small forward fin.

This is a good looking, strong model.

Gloss white undercoats followed.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing the full model in the "filled, primed and sanded" stage. Often this stage is not shown, instead skipping right to the pretty painted model. This gives me a good reference for what my models should look like when all the right prep has been put into it before top coats. I can see the time and effort you put into paint prep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet Eero -
      I use primer/filler as a filler. It's the last attempt to fill any remaining tube seams or wood grain. I tend to sand it down almost to surface, that's why it looks blotchy.

      Delete
  2. I have had several Quest kits with alignment guides that don't match up. I love their rockets, but some of their parts don't fit right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      Something happens between the original drawing, the plate burning and the final printing. Things can get slightly smaller or larger in the process. I understand that.
      What I don't get is - Why were the marking guides more accurate before the printing process went digital?
      Some kits are better than others whether they are from a major company or small vendor. This Magnum kit is a great value, sharp design and has strong components.

      Delete