Saturday, September 19, 2015

Quest Magnum Sport Loader #3012, Finished


Here's the Magnum twins!
I built two at the same time. The orange one will be sold on Ebay.
I chose yellow for the second model after seeing Daniel Petrie's Magnum build.
I'm keeping and flying the yellow one.



I substituted BT-20 tubes for the thin yellow engine tubes supplied in the kit.
The engine hooks were changed out for spring steel hooks.
The round elastic shock cord was switched out with a long 1/4" flat elastic.
I had cut a long piece of elastic, my habit for a model this size. I was thinking about nose cone snap-back. It really doesn't need a long elastic shock cord, the payload section ejects away and separately from the body.

The two 14" parachutes got snap swivels.
I'll punch holes in the yellow model payload tube for my altimeter.

The payload section empty weight is 1.7 oz.
The empty main body weight, 2.0 oz. for a combined weight of 3.7 oz.
The payload section is heavy, weighing almost as much as the body. I may have to rethink if I wanted to recover this one tethered, under one parachute.

Even with parts substitution this model is a great value.
A two engine cluster model with a payload and two parachutes for $17.84 retail!
In today's market you can't beat that. Estes doesn't currently offer a cluster kit.

5 comments:

  1. I love the Magnum Sport Loader. I've only flown it once, but with my first club launch coming up (CMASS, in Amesbury, MA), I hope to get it in the air again. It's a beautiful rocket and really solid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its too early in the morning for math as I read this but if the payload section is 1.7 oz and the main body tube is 2.0 oz wouldn't the total be 3.7 oz?

    I am seriously considering getting one of these due to your build thread alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J September,
      You are right, a typo on my part. I'll correct the post.
      The kit face card says the model is 2.85 oz., I don't know if that is shipping weight or naked unfinished weight.
      It is a great kit, be ready to switch out the yellow engine mount tubes.

      Delete