Friday, September 4, 2015

Quickburst LPR Igniter Dip Part 1

Nobody seems to be happy with the new Estes "Starter" igniters.
They do work, but it seems you hold the launch button down longer for ignition.

I've been experimenting with lacquer nail polish dips and that does help. But it's still not what it once was.
I've known about igniter dips before. They are used in mid and high power composite engines.
But will they work in LPR black powder engines?

I called David Bachelder at www.quickburst.net
I was surprised he didn't know that Estes had quit using pyrogen on their igniters. It's understandable, he deals with MPR and HPR engines.

I ordered the Quick Dip package which consisted of
40 gram plastic jar of Quick Dip
White Oxidizer in a zip bag
A stirring stick and directions
You supply your own Acetone. I bought mine at Home Depot.


First you add three tablespoons of Acetone to the Quick Dip in the white jar. Don't use a plastic measuring spoon, the Acetone will dissolve it!
Seal and let sit overnight.

The picture at the left shows how it looked the next day.
It did take some stirring to get everything mixed up.






Remove and throw away the desiccant package in the oxidizer bag.
Roll a dowel over the oxidizer to remove any lumps.










Add the white oxidizer powder.
Stir and done!
Re-cap the white jar.

2 comments:

  1. Will definitely be interested to read about your results with these ignitors! I have been having issues with my own and will be trying the "nail polish" dip the next time I am out to launch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J,
      I was to test them with the Orlando ROCK 12 volt club system today, but had to work. The field was flooded anyway and the launch cancelled. I still have to test them with a 12 volt system. More on the igniters coming up.

      Delete