Sunday, September 13, 2015

Launch, N.E.F.A.R., Bunnell Florida, September 12, 2015

Roger Smith drove Dave, Lonnie and I to Bunnell for the N.E.F.A.R. monthly launch.
Skies were overcast but there was no rain while we were there. The clouds kept the heat low. Winds were up to 15 mph.

My Odd'l Rockets prototype BREAK-AWAY had two more successful test launches. First with an Estes B6-4 to an estimated 350'. The second C6-5 flight reached 700'.
Ejections popped the model into six segments and it recovered horizontally. No damage.



Greg Welch brought his scratch built Estes Recruiter clone, complete with hand painted camouflage. A textbook flight with an Estes C6-5.

My second SPUDNIK had a 100' low but stable flight with an A10-3t. My flight card comments said: "It may not be stable but it should be funny." It flew better than my first Spudnik and the engine didn't blow through this time.




My new yellow Quest MAGNUM SPORT LOADER launched my Estes altimeter with two German made Quest B6-4s. Q2G2 igniters were used to guarantee ignition. Only one of the two 14" Quest parachutes was used.
A great first flight with the altimeter reading 358' with no damage.
R.O.C.K. President Brian Coyle got to launch a few today. Normally he has RSO duties at the Orlando monthly launch. That's his original FlisKits Far Scape flown with a C6-5. Some were surprised how stable it was with the offset body tubes and strange fin layout.

Next to it is my Estes MEGA MOSQUITO with a D12-5. I would guess the altitude was 550'. It was nose down when the parachute ejected. A four second delay would be perfect.




A successful day for me, five up and five recovered with no damages.

All the engines (except for the clustered Magnum) were ignited with Estes Starter igniters with a QuickBurst "QuickDip" coating. The NEFAR launchers use a 12 volt battery. All ignitions were quick.

5 comments:

  1. That Quest Sport Loader gives you some amazing flights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      It was cool - in your yellow decor!
      B6-4s were fine, C6-5s will be next.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to the Break-away being released.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Graeme,
      Greg did a great job on the Recruiter. I don't know if I'd want to tackle the camouflage paint job. It's a scratch built from parts and online instructions so it can be done!

      Delete