Friday, September 18, 2015

Quest Magnum Sport Loader #3012 Build, Part 19, Altimeter and Nose Cone Tie

I glue my shock cords in the tri-fold mounts at an angle.
For the explanation: CLICK HERE

I don't use tri-fold mounts often but they can come in handy if there is nowhere to tie down the shock cord.
The idea is to not lose the nose cone and altimeter at ejection. We've all lost nose cones off payload sections.
A short length of shock cord gets a tri-fold mount on each end.
A loop knot is tied in the center to attach the altimeter.



Here's how the retainer cord glued in at both ends. Even if the nose cone came off at ejection, the altimeter and nose cone remain attached to the model.
To mark for the altimeter holes, I did a paper wrap then folded it into thirds. For altimeter holes the spacing it doesn't have to be perfect.
Three holes were made with the rotary punch.

I thought I went deep enough to clear the coupler but when the nose cone was inserted, the coupler blocked the holes I just punched! Oh well . . .

I ended up punching holes in the nose cone shoulder that matched the holes in the payload tube.

4 comments:

  1. "...I ended up punching holes in the nose cone shoulder that matched the holes in the payload tube..."

    Actually, that's brilliant! If you need to seal the payload section for a different application you just turn the nose cone a little bit to seal it off. EUREKA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      Leave it to you to put a positive spin on this one!
      I'll go with your solution. Yeah, I meant to do that!

      Delete
  2. In hind sight, punching holes through the black band would have hiddden the holes better, still requires matching holes in the nosecone shoulder.

    BTW, I like the yellow and black version better than the orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eero,
      That did cross my mind, but putting the holes higher up (in the black decal) would have been right over the coupler. I was trying to punch below it. I should have measured twice, and punched once.
      I also like the yellow one better. That's the one I'm keeping for me.

      Delete