Sunday, September 6, 2015

Quickburst LPR Igniter Dip Part 2


I have quite a few Estes Starter igniters and even more Quest MMX (bare nichrome) igniters.
On the right is the Estes Starter before and the inset pic shows it after the dip.




Here's a few of the Estes Starters after dipping.
They dry very fast.
You can dip the two joined Starters at the same time. Just fold two joined igniters tape in half.





Here's the test using my old Estes 6 volt controller.
After holding down the button for a half second they do flame up then spark.
The previous lacquer dip igniters heat then flame.
The Quick Dip igniters flame then spark.
I'm sure with a 12 volt system the sparking would be very quick.


The web pages say you can make hundreds of igniters using the 40 gram container.
You should have many igniters on hand and dip them all at once.
At the top are dipped Estes Starters. Below that is a bunch of dipped  Quest MMX igniters. I can use these Quest igniters in 13mm, 18mm and 24mm engines.

The acetone evaporates fairly quickly. I had to add more acetone and thin my mix in the middle of dipping.
You are told to add a tablespoon of acetone once a month to keep it liquid and workable.

I'm looking forward to trying the igniters at club launches.

2 comments:

  1. This is great. Thank you very much for posting this information on your blog. I had been having terrible results with these new starters and the only solution I could find so far was to coat the starters with clear nail polish. I think the dip will be an even better solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris I have used this method to re-dip the Estes Starters. In addition to what you have done I add a clear coat of finger nail polish. I have tested the re-dipped igniters with/without the polish. no difference . But in the Pacific Northwest under some wet conditions a dropped igniter w/ polish is a life saver.

    John

    ReplyDelete