Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Why A Break-Off Blade Knife?

Think about it. When do you normally change a #11 X-Acto blade? When the tip breaks off. Did you ever notice the edge below the broken tip seems sharp?

90% of knife use in rocket building is cutting laser cut fins free from the wood sheet. Why waste a blade that costs $1.00 each on laser cut fins? A break-off blade section is just pennies per segment.

Pop off a dulled segment on a break-off blade knife and you've got a new sharp edge. Save some money - Use your X-Acto knife and #11 blades for the complex curves and tight cutting.

The knife on the right isn't one of those cheap break-off handles. It's a 9mm blade handle made by Olfa, the XA-1. It sells at Home Depot for under $5.00. The blades can feel loose in the cheaper bargain bin utility knifes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm all-in on the break-off blades. I got one of the Olfa's pictured above on your recommendation and I'm quite happy with it. I also got an 18mm version for when I need slightly more oomph.

    I still use the Xacto #11 when I need to do really fine curved work, but well over 90% is going to the snap-off. I hand-cut all the pieces on my upscale Quinstar using the snap-off.

    I think you mentioned the most important point: A lot of our hobby work requires only the pointy tip along with maybe 1/8" or so of the blade. Snap-offs are ideal for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      I'm glad to hear the cheaper knife works for you. Save your money for other rocketry stuff! If you get your break-off blades at Harbor Freight they are even cheaper! They're not quite as shiny as the Olfa brand blades but for utility cutting, who cares?

      Delete