Saturday, February 26, 2011

LAUNCH! Schoolyard February 26, 2011

Rocket spectators, Michelle and son Jimmy had contacted me that they were going to be in town and asked if I was going to be launches during their stay. I told them to meet me at 8 a.m. before the soccer players take over the field.

Today's launch was supposed to be a demonstration for a family visiting from Norway. They were in Florida for yesterday's Shuttle launch and were interested in seeing some model rockets fly. We should have had 8 - 10 people at this mornings launch.

As it turned out, the Norway group were unable to come. So Jimmy got all the duties of countdown, launch and recovery.

Here Jimmy launches the new CORKSCREW with an A3-4t.
It had a great spiral boost, hence the Corkscrew name.



The UP! CUP had a good, stable flight with a Estes C6-3. The wind was starting to pick up and I was getting wary of drift.

A C6-3 in an odd-ball rocket is about as much power as I can fly in this small field.






A re-build of the Semroc THUNDERBEE flew with an 35 year old MPC 1/2A3-5t engine.

I can't figure out the problem, but this new build had a broken fin on landing. The last Thunderbee broke fins on two previous launches.




The Quest ASTRA III was launched twice. I prepped it on site to show Jimmy how to pack wadding, fold a parachute and install an igniter.

The first Astra III launch was with a Chinese made Quest A6-4. At about 25 feet up it went horizontal and ejected on the ground. This was the second time I've had a Quest A6-4 do this. The other was in a Semroc Astron, an otherwise stable model.

I wanted to see it fly stable so I loaded it up with a Estes A8-3. This time the Astra III had vertical boost and deploy of the reefed chute. Not a great altitude, but a successful flight.

Also flown:
A new downscale carded SKY WRITER with a MMX engine. Straight and true boost with a detached fin on recovery.

Before Michelle and Jimmy left, I gave Jimmy the (still warm from flight) Quest Astra III and a Starlight Apogee kit to build. Michelle told me he still had a launcher from a previous lost rocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment