Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Patriot Downscale Build Part 3 Fin Overlay Leading Edges


TIP: I don't cut "halfway through" the card stock to make a fold like some instructions would have you do. I make a indented line down the fold line.

While the fins are still on the printed sheet, score the fold (leading edge) line. In the end this will give you a rounded leading edge on the three ply fins. The root and outside edges of the fins will be square.

Here I'm using the back side of a razor blade (not the sharp blade but the folded metal lip on the other side) to make the score. That rounded lip is a near perfect edge to score the heavy card stock.

I've placed wraps of masking tape over the blade so I won't cut my fingers with the sharp side up.

Use a straightedge to score the 110 lb. card stock. I score right over the top, on the printed area. If you don't press to hard, or go over the score too many times, you won't take off any of the ink.

After scoring cut out the fins a little outside of the black edge line and printed areas. In other words, cut a bit oversize.



Cut a long straight edge on your cereal box cardboard.

You want this edge straight! This edge will be right under the fold of the leading edge (printed) fin overlay.

No comments:

Post a Comment