Monday, February 7, 2011

Quest Cobalt Clone Build Part 3 Fin Sizing


Because it is so new, the Cobalt instructions or fin patterns are not available online.
We'll do the best we can from the picture on the Quest website.

The Cobalt image was copied and imported into my Corel Draw Software.
The image was rotated to vertical.

Now enlarge it until it is the correct 7 1/2" length and the 1.58" diameter.

I traced around the body, nose cone and fins.
The fin tracing was copied and lifted from the picture.

Because of the slight rotation in the original picture, I slightly widened the width of the fin.
This will be a "close" - not exact reproduction of the Cobalt fins.

I know the finished model kit is only 7 1/2" tall.
The nose cone length was double checked to be sure it was 2 1/2" .

With the trailing edge of the fins extending away from the body tube, this left only 4" of length for the main 40mm body tube.
With an engine mount at around 3" long, there isn't much room inside for a parachute or streamer!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I did the graphics for this rocket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shrox!
    Thanks for stopping by the blog.
    I liked the graphics treatment, but wasn't too hot on the decals being stick-ons.
    I later built a slightly longer version of the Cobalt, simply called "Orange". I wanted a little more room for the parachute.

    ReplyDelete