Tuesday, February 15, 2011

LAUNCH! Schoolyard, February 14, 2011

I was only able to get one launch picture this morning!

Once again, I'm launching off my favorite new accessory, my cheap camera tripod and (soon to released Odd'l Rockets) ADEPTOR. It's so much easier connecting up the micro clips and get launch pictures like this.

Here's the downscale carded CHEROKEE "T" with a 35 year old MPC 1/2A3-5m engine. The delay smoke on the older engines is more dense than what you see now. The streamer ejected but didn't unfurl.



I hadn't launched the 13mm UP! CUP in a while. This morning it flew with an Estes A10-3t, stable and true.

Considering the body wall is Styrofoam, both this version and the 18mm UP! CUP are holding up very well. There's just a little blackening from the ejection charge.




Even though I'm still "building" the COBALT Clone on this blog, it's really finished and left the launch rod this morning.

The only recommended engine (without added nose weight) is a Quest A6-4. My adaptation is going to need nose weight. It went horizontal and ejected the streamer on the ground! No damage, but before the next try, I'll add weight and string test it for stability.

This first flight is not a reflection on the Quest kit. I was building a "look-a-like" clone. A squatty rocket like this would normally need nose weight to fly straight.




The Semroc THUNDERBEE gets great altitude with an old MPC 1/2A3-5m engine. A few months back, it landed in the street and broke off a fin. This time it landed on the grass and broke off a different fin! Maybe it's time for a re-build?




I tried unsuccessfully to fly the Semroc POINT with an Estes B6-2. I had a Quest Q2G2 igniter installed. With their long leads they are perfect for odd-ball models.
After no ignition, I checked the Q2G2 igniter and it was still good. I loaded it up again, counted down and pressed the button.
The igniter went off and "popped" right out the back of the engine. That's the second time I've had a ignition failure with a Q2G2. It is hard to connect the clips under the Point's conical body, I may have pulled the igniter loose.

The downscale carded WOLVERINE had a wiggle during boost on an MPC 1/2A3-5m. The asymetrical fins have something to do with that.
And finally, my old stand-by downscaled SKY WRITER flew high with a MicroMaxx engine. That's the 18th flight for a favorite MMX rocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment