Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Quest Cobalt Clone Part 6 Centering Rings

I made some centering rings from Cereal Box ply.
I always have some on hand for rings and fins.

This thick white stock was made three ply from:
1. 110 lb. card stock glued over
2. Cereal Box card stock glued over
3. 110 Lb. card stock


Lay on some glue, smooth it out, lay the ply and let dry in a heavy book overnight.



Centering the circles can be tough.

The ST-7 motor mount tube diameter is pretty small to draw with a compass.

I simply drew around the tube with a fine mechanical pencil. Draw the smaller tube first.




I set the main body tube over the first circle.

Because the main 40 mm tube is short, I can look down inside the tube and visually center it over the first drawn circle.

Hold the 40mm tube steady and trace around the outside.
Remove it and check to see if it is centered. If not, erase the line and try again.

Sure, I could have used a centering ring software application to print out a ring. This is how I did it years ago when I didn't want to wait two weeks for an order to arrive. Back then, we didn't have computers to draw the rings for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment