Thursday, February 24, 2011

Semroc I.Q.S.Y. Tomahawk Build Part 5 Fin Shaping

TIP: Before sanding the taper, I brushed on a coat of CWF and sanded it smooth. I would be sanding through the CWF coat when tapering the leading edge taper. The bare wood underneath is a little darker than the light beige CWF. This gives me a contrast color while sanding and be easier to see if the taper is straight.


Using my engineer's ruler I marked the fin edge taper to a width of .21".

Two tick marks were made down the fin leading edge.





The tick marks were joined with the ruler. I double checked to be sure the width was consistant from side to side.




Because the fin thickness is thin (.050") I concentrated on the leading edge wedge taper first.

You can now see the difference in the CWF and bare basswood. It's subtle, but makes it easier to see the sanded wedge line.

No comments:

Post a Comment