Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Quest Cobalt Clone Build Part 17 Masking


After the blue had thoroughly dried, I started masking for the two silver fins. While many use expensive, specialty masking tapes, I get great results using regular clear Scotch tape for color separations.

It's not hard to mask down a straight root edge, but I wanted the silver to go smoothly around the front (top) of the fin.

There's 12 small pieces of tape going around the rounded tip of the fin.


I wanted to use enough pieces to get the separation line to follow the rouded leading edge.

After double checking the tape position, burnishing follows with a smooth, sharpened dowel.
You can see the blue color is clearer near the root edge. That's where I concentrate on the burnishing. The darker, clearer area lets me know I have a good seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment