Monday, February 21, 2011

Semroc I.Q.S.Y. Tomahawk Build Part 1 Parts


Here's the parts layout for the Semroc IQSY Tomahawk.

Of particular interest are the laser cut basswood fins.
I can appreciate Semroc using the basswood. It'll be easier to sand the wedge taper on the leading edge and keep the line sharp.

The IQSY Tomahawk didn't have any lettering but there is a small decal included with the rocket name.
I won't be using the decal, I'm going to try for "close to scale" using some G. Harry Stine drawings from the older Centuri instructions.

One thing I don't get is the two piece main body tube. The two tubes are joined by a coupler, but it still means another seam to be filled. I'm sure Semroc did it this way so it would fit into a smaller bag and be easier to hang on a hobby shop wall.
The coupler also holds in the 24" long elastic shock cord. I'll add some Kevlar tied to the engine mount and attach the elastic to that..

The full size Tomahawk was 9.0" in diameter.
This model is built around the ST-8 body tube which is .908" in diameter.
This makes this model a very close 1/10th scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment