Saturday, February 19, 2011

Quest Cobalt Clone Build Part 21 FINISHED!

Here's how the streamer was attached to the shock cord. The streamer is only 1" wide.

Usually the snap swivel would be flipped around when using a parachute. But on this model, there will never be enough room for a parachute. I used the swivel this way so when I eventually change out the streamer it''l be easier.

I used two plastic page reinforcements, one on each side.

Here's the finished model, minus the decals. It was built for the Soccer field launches I do about once a week.

It was launched last wee using a Chinese made Quest A6-4 engine. It went unstable after it left the rod. A little clay nose weight will correct that.

Not the fault of Quest, I was building a clone without the instructions. Who knows, I might have recessed the engine mount a quarter of an inch too far. On a model this size that could make all the difference in stability.

Once Quest posts the instructions on their website I'll know what little difference in construction caused the instability.

2 comments:

  1. Not your fault. The nose needs 10 grams of clay, then you can run A8 and B4 engines. C6 engines on this thing is a bit squirrely, even in a no wind situation.

    A friend of mine's Daughter built one that used 13mm engines. It flies very well and quite stable without nose cone clay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi GDJ9630 -
    I just weighed both engines.
    The Quest A6-4 was 15.5 grams and the Estes A8-3 was 16.6 grams. Your weight recommendation makes a lot of sense.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete