Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Semroc I.Q.S.Y. Tomahawk Build Part 3 Fin Shaping

The 1/16" basswood fins are to be thinned down to .05" thick.

I'd recommend sanding the fin thickness to .05" before tapering the leading edge.

This is a piece of scrap basswood taken from laser cut sheet in the kit.
I wanted to practice thinning and sanding the taper on scrap first to decide if it was do-able before committing to the kit fins.

I locked my caliper to the .05" width and used it to check the thickness of the practice piece as I sanded.

The scrap piece was sanded down to the .05" thickness with 220 grit on a sanding block. You won't be able to get a consistent thickness without using a sanding block.
As you sand, you'll have to continually check the thickness. Stop sanding when the basswood just slides into the caliper.

No comments:

Post a Comment