Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dr. Zooch SLS Build Part 5 Fairings

I jumped ahead to the engine fairings -
I pre-formed the fairings so they might glue easier to the BT-5 sized tube.
As I've done before, a dowel was rolled over the fairings with a dowel in the heel of my left hand.

The instructions show the fairing cut out on their black outside lines, glued onto the tube and cut out. I prefer to cut the print with more of a border and glue in place. I'll then cut through both the print and tube at the same time.

It doesn't take much glue to get the cardstock wraps to adhere. Just be sure it's an even coat.
The fairing edges were rolled into place with a clean dowel.
The instructions say "The fairings are decorated for folks who hate to paint."
There is printing on the fairings.
I'll be doing the Saturn V scheme so mine will end up an overall white.


While the fairings dried, the "toenails" (interior fairing supports pieces) were glued onto the balsa stock.
I liked that these "toenail" pieces were glued onto the balsa with the printed cardstock showing to the rear. It'll save some time as there won't be any balsa grain filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment