Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mylar Balloon Parachutes

Over the years I've made many parachutes out of black trash bags. They've always worked well and are cheap compared to pre-assembled parachutes.

The forums have mentioned making parachutes from mylar balloons but I'd never tried it.


This is a red metallic balloon from the Dollar Tree store.
A one dollar balloon will make two 12" parachutes. If you have a template, this size balloon could make up to a 16" diameter parachute.
My template was cut out of heavy mat board. I traced around a 12" Semroc parachute for pattern.



After cutting it out, the mylar curled up into a tight roll. It unraveled easily.

Be sure you have straight cuts with no ragged edge lines. Any nick in the mylar could start a rip.

Plastic tape reinforcement disks were set in the corners. Mylar can tear so you should use the disks.
I did have to hold down the edges when the shroud lines were tied on.

After all six lines were tied on and joined to a swivel, the parachute held it's new shape without rolling up.

To test it against tearing, I purposely "popped" the parachute open many times. It didn't tear! Once again, there were no ragged cut sides where a tear could start.

This parachute should look much better in the air than the black trash bag parachutes I make.
There is other metallic colors available - Silver, orange, purple, yellow and red.
I'm staying away from the blue and green for obvious reasons.

When using Mylar parachutes, be sure you carefully pack the protective wadding. Mylar can melt easier than some other materials.

5 comments:

  1. I've made a few parachutes out of emergency blankets like these - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/outdoor-insulated-survival-mat-59697

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sascha,
    I tried the emergency blanket material a few years back. The blanket I bought was very thin. The balloon material is much thicker, almost a little "crispy".
    When the Squatty Body kit first came out it included emergency blanket streamer material. That was changed out quickly when it melted more often than I would have liked. But then again, that is a rear eject model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true - the emergency blankets are very thin. I'll have to check out the balloons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a Hello Kitty mylar balloon at a dollar store to make a chute for my wife's Hello Kitty themed rocket. Worked out quite nicely! Good when you need a theme deco or a certain color chute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ray -
    Sounds great!
    I think I'll to get a pirate balloon for my Jolly Roger rocket. This two engine cluster model has two 12" parachutes. The great thing is you get two parachutes for a dollar, just cut through both sides of the balloon at the same time.

    ReplyDelete