Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dr. Zooch SLS Finished















As far as I could tell, three NASA meatball logos are place 120 degrees from each other. You can see the small, vertical UNITED STATES decal set on either side of the upper core tube.
The kit provide you with a United States flag printed on cardstock. I found a flag online and added it to the decal sheet. My flag decal width is a little less than the cardstock flag provided.

This is really a great looking model when seen in person. I especially like the Saturn V decor. It's good to have the option of different finishes.

Lessons learned:
1. I usually read ahead and should have avoided gluing the launch lugs in the way of the support struts. It's a compromise I guess, the launch lugs aren't so obvious but the struts on the lug side are small.
2. If you want to use the supplied Saturn V wraps, you'll have to plan ahead and make adjustments to the order of construction.
3. I followed the Space.com artistic rendering for placement of the SRBs on the core body. On my model, the SRBs don't overhang the rear body as much as they probably should. I'm taking a chance here, but a model this length with six trailing fins should be stable.

The instructions recommend a B6-4, C6-3 and C6-5 engine. NO A ENGINES!

No comments:

Post a Comment