Friday, March 30, 2012

HPR Design Post on TRF

Sean A. (GrossApproximator on TRF) really summed up my feelings about many HPR designs:

"All the high power rockets I see look very similar to one another. Nose cone; tube; fins. Some are big, some are small, and some are honkin' huge. Some have simple paint jobs while others have more complex paint jobs. However, other than the honkin' huge rockets, I've never seen a high power rocket that I really liked the look of. Since rockets spend 99.99% of their lives on the ground, I want to see a rocket that looks so wild that you can't take your eyes off of it--even if the rocket only ever flies once or twice."

Sean is right, many HPR rockets have a predictable design profile.
This is nothing against HPR models.
A well planned, successful HPR launch is amazing to see in person.

Sometimes I wish I had the money, time and tools to make larger rockets!

2 comments:

  1. I tend to agree with you. Most HP designs are either very simple or just upscales of really popular LPR designs.

    On thing I think your missing though is that while the designs might be simple, the rockets and the flights themselves are complex. Yes that may be just a 3FNC, but it has dual-deployment. There are lot more things to go wrong so, at least for the first few flights and for certifications, you try keep the design as simple as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob,
    Don't misunderstand this post.
    I really respect the HPR fliers. I just don't have the space (and money) it takes to do the big stuff right!

    ReplyDelete