Friday, March 9, 2012

Semroc Centurion with the Semroc Booster 16

I'd refinished my Centurion a few months back - epoxy fillets, new paint, decal and trim.

That Semroc Booster 16 has been sitting on the shelf for two years. I finally got some 13mm A10-0t engines for it.

Everything looked good at the staging.
Roger Smith caught this picture right after the upper stage ignition.
(Roger gets all the good shots!)

The Centurion is just starting to arc over into the wind. We had wind gusts over 20 m.p.h. on Saturday.
This is a very stable model, I can only guess a wind gust hit it right at the ignition of the B6-4.
It went horizontal and into the branches of a tree, probably 25 feet up.

This is a repeat picture, but a good one.
Tom Dennon got down the Centurion using his L.C.P.V.C.R.G. (Long, Collapsible PVC Rocket Grabber)


Most all the damage is on the leading edge of three fins.
There's even one hole punched right through the side of a fin.

Another rebuild and refinish? Let me think about that one.

1 comment:

  1. I use an aluminum telescoping pole for "remote rocket recovery". I made mine from a broken golf ball rake I bought at SkyCraft in Orlando.

    ReplyDelete