Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Odd'l Rockets Goony G-16 Build, Part 1, Parts

The new Odd'l Rockets F-16 kit is almost ready!
The fins have been laser cut and almost all the parts are here.

After the instructions are drawn up you should build a model using them to be sure everything works and check the fit of the water slide decals on the laser cut fins.
To be honest, I've made too many prototypes and wasn't excited about building another normal F-16.
I decided to make a BT-60 Goony version using spare parts with the same fins and decals used in the Odd'l Rockets F-16 kit.

The parts picture is different, this wasn't going to be a blog build. But the model turned out very well and I decided to start taking pictures. I didn't take this parts picture until after some of the prep work had been done.
The nose cone is a black plastic Alpha shape. The main airframe is a Goony sized BT-60 at 7 1/2" long. The intake tube is a 4 1/2" long BT-55.
Here the motor mount is glued together, the fins pieces have been glued and the grain filled with CWF. The dowel bombs are carved and smooth. The vacu-form canopy (don't know why I didn't include it in the picture) will be shown later in the build.

For anybody interested in the new F-16 kit, much of this build will be the same as the Odd'l kit. The Odd'l kit uses a heavy wall BT-50, very close to the original Centuri size.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting - goony-fying your own model as a beta test - can't say I ever seen that before! Oughta be a hoot seeing both the original F-16 and G-16 together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Well, I've got to keep the blog interesting for the readers (and for me!)

      Delete
  2. Thanks Chris, Now when you release the F-16 kit I well have to buy at lease two kits. One for the regular kit and one to build a Goony from. Good marketing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank,
      If the standard version sells well, I might produce the Goony version. Later in the build I'll show how I purposely messed up the decals.

      Delete
    2. Big thumbs up for producing both! Save me a little on shipping getting both at once ;-)

      Delete
  3. I am really looking forward to the release of this kit!

    ReplyDelete