Sunday, August 26, 2012

Estes V2 Build Part 30 Stripe Cutting

Whoops! I missed posting Part 30, yesterday I posted 31. So they are out of order.
No biggie - here's #30:

Please note:
My detail dimensions (width of stripes and postions) are estimations.
The Estes V2 is a semi scale model. If this were an entry in a NAR Scale contest I would take the time to do the math and make it correct.
In the end it'll capture the look of a White Sands V2.

I'm using my favorite black trim material again - Contact Paper Blackboard Covering. I bought a roll at Michael's Crafts.

The high and low horizontal stripes are about 3/8" wide.
The diagonal stripes will be 7/32" wide.

The hardest part of cutting strips is to have them cut to the same width from end to end. The smallest shift of your straightedge can mess up a horizontal stripe when it meets up after going around the tube.

I cut three separate "master" pieces of the correct width. These are placed against the top of the stripe at the left, middle and right of the strip to be cut.

This gives me something to line my straightedge on.
Those three master pieces are used for all the eight diagonal stripes needed.



First, lay down the 3/8" horizontal stripe at the tail cone and body tube seam.
Don't burnish this tape stripe down!
It will have to be lifted later and is used for a positioning reference right now.

With a pencil, mark the fin and centers between the fins.

No comments:

Post a Comment