Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Micro Bullying on TRF

This is a copy of a message sent to a "Micro" Rocketry Forum member.
I sent this letter after many negative responses to forum posts I've made over the past five years.
Insults directed at me were funny at first. Then I noticed I wasn't the only target. Even novice flyers were told his way was the only way to get it done.
I'd had enough -
Here's the letter -

Why is it no one has an opinion, or a product idea unless it is yours?
Too many have taken offense to your responses.

Why do you think those new modelers on the Micro forum left?
Because you told them something like: "Next time you post, paint your models first.

I first thought it was funny when you got on me for painting my Flis Honest John like the (incorrect) decal scheme from the old Estes kit.
Who cares? It's my model, I can paint it purple.

Then the MMX engine mounts.
Why am I worried about that small amount of extra weight in my hand rolled centering rings. Heck, my MMX models never reach apogee before the ejection charge goes off anyway.

MM: Your quote: "Apparently you have not looked around very well for your materials."
CM: You don't know what research I have done finding the right vendors. My new fin alignment tool took two years, five vendors and a dozen burns to get it correct. That's one product out of the dozen kits and accessories I sell.

MM: To quote you: "BULK BUY? REALLY! LOL!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING!
CM: Another insult. I'm not kidding. I went to three different hardware stores and didn't find them in the height I was looking for.

MM: To quote you: "Time? all of 5 to 8 minutes for the entire operation."
CM: I'd like to see that. I cut the couplings in two. They are leveled, then drilled and tapped.

MM: Another quote: ". . . it's something most anyone can make for themselves for under 2 bucks.
CM: Gee, thanks for giving it away!

You show a MMX adapter (a little too complicated for me) and and an equivalent to my Odd'l Rockets RAISE spring.
Again, don't assume I didn't look for my materials. I went through another five vendors to find the right one to fabricate the Raise spring product. (1,500 sold so far)

Your responses make you sound like a "Know it all" to many. Who knows how many you have alienated.
Your insults aren't insulting anyone but yourself.

You're now blocked. Congratulations, you are the only forum member to attain that.
Touche'.

Chris Michielssen
Hans "Chris" Michielssen
Old/New NAR # 19086 SR

P.S. My building techniques are not the only way to get it done.".
The blog is simply a record of my builds. Everyone has their own successful methods.

P.P.S. Yesterday there was another post where he called me a Shyster and I've never given back anything to the hobby. Sheesh! The TRF moderators pulled that post.
I've received a few private messages saying "Thank you" for standing up to MM.

4 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I am not sure why people need to be overly critical. I have a feeling it makes them feel better about themselves in some way.

    I find that reading your blogs allows me be build better rockets.

    I know that what you do here besides building great rockets takes a lot of effort and time to produce. I appreciate your efforts.

    -Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thanks Phil,
    Like the letter implied, I had enough and had to say something. It's interesting that of all the hundred of people who post on TRF, he's the only one that seems to offend.

    Thanks for following the blog. I enjoy doing the posts. Stay tuned - lots of interesting builds coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So where MM said, "I've never given back anything to the hobby". Honestly you have given me the most in this hobby. The most help, tips, advice and directions (especially when they are just missing). The most improvement in my skill of building rockets (I'm producing models that lately have been impressing me and others, they say, "that is just paper tube and wood", yep). The most news, funnies, and miscellaneous rocketry stuff that keeps me interested. I watch the other guys blogs, but you are reliable and dependable over eight years now (which is longer than I've been a BAR). My favorite part in the blog is when you finish a model and when you start a new one - for me it generates excitement in the rocket and the one to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott!
      I'm glad the blog is helping with your builds. Before things got out of hand with "MM", I invited him to stop by the blog. His response was: "I don't have time for your blog!" Oh well!
      I find it interesting that the most comment responses come from new products or like that PVC Rocket from a few days ago. Hard to believe the blog has been running for almost nine years and there is still things to write about. I do have some new products coming out, we'll see if they turn out to be popular. All the best to you and yours!

      Delete