Thursday, July 22, 2010

OOP Quest Nike Smoke Build Part 11


This is a complicated fin mask.

With all the angled tapering at the root edge and the ends, there is eight masking lines on each fin. Or to put it another way, each fin will have eight pieces of tape around it's base.

It's a little hard to see in the picture, but there is Scotch tape right at the mask lines. Brown masking tape outside of that taped to a bag covering the entire fin can. The engine mount is not glued in place yet.

To make it a little harder, at the root edge there is a very clean rounded joint or fillet. You almost have to guess where the tape edge goes.

Here's the fluorescent yellow fin after removing the tape. The mask came out very well.

I'd mask and paint the fluorescent red/orange but I got pink (or Pank) by mistake. My daughter was with me at Home Dept and told me there was no such thing as fluorescent red: "They don't make fluorescent red in fingernail polish, the closest you'll find is pink."
I returned the pink and will search for the red.

2 comments:

  1. Chris, I painted my Nike-Smoke with Krylon #3101
    "Red Glowing Orange Fluorescent". IIRC, I picked it up at Wally World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian,
    I just picked up the same can #3101 today!

    ReplyDelete