Sunday, July 4, 2010

TLP Phoenix 1.6" Already Started

Here's how I lined up the fins on my TLP Phoenix.
Before gluing the fins in place:

Body tube seams were filled with Carpenter's Wood Filler and sanded smooth. When filling body tube seams, I mix the CWF a little thicker than when I would if filling wood grain. It seems to stay in the seam a little better this way.

Rustloleum Gray primer was applied to the body tube and sanded smooth with 400 grit sandpaper.
Fins were filled, sanded, primed and sanded again before gluing to the body tube.

Fin lines were drawn down the body tube. Using a knife blade, I scraped away the primer where the root edges would be glued.

The bottom four fins were glued using the "double glue" method.


To line up the upper and lower fins, I used Popsicle sticks (tongue depressors) and clothes pins.
I've been filling and priming fins off the body tube for years now. It's near to impossible to sand and fill fins with white glue fillets in the way. The Carpenter's wood filler is water soluble so white glue will permeate it when gluing the fins in place. Still, for the best adhesion, keep that root edge clear of CWF.

No comments:

Post a Comment