Friday, July 30, 2010

MX-774 Kitbash Part 9 Rounding Fins


I don't know if the Centuri MX-774 kit used 1/16" balsa, I would assume it did. Mr. Wilfong's kitbash instructions suggested using 1/16" balsa. I decided to go with 3/32" thick stock.
The trailing edges are behind the body and would be prone to breaking on landing. I felt 1/16" balsa would be too thin.
Mr. Wilfong also suggests airfoiling the fins. Again for strength, I simply rounded the edges.

Here I'm removing most of the edge by rolling the edge over a block with 220 grit sandpaper.
That block is a Great Planes Easy Touch Hand Sander, a great tool. You buy the sandpaper in a roll, the paper has a sticky back to hold it on the flat side. Their 220 grit paper isn't a real 220. It's more like 320 so it's perfect for this kind of work. That roll of sandpaper is a little pricey.

I use a block for the initial rounding of the edges. It helps keep an even roundness across the entire length of the edge. Most younger modeler's tend to take off some of the corners when using too rough a grit held in their fingers.

After using the block I go back and knock off any small edges with a piece of 400 grit held over my index finger.

No comments:

Post a Comment