Friday, July 9, 2010

Tube Fin Rockets - Revisited

To get a better contrast on your tube stabilized rockets, plan ahead and paint the inside of the tube a different color.
Here's the Centuri Groove Tube clone. The outside of the tubes were completely masked off and the inside tubes were sprayed black. Be ready, it's a little hard getting the spray aimed inside the tubes.
The interior of the tubes are (obviously) rougher than the outside. After that first inside spray coat, put fine sandpaper on a finger and knock down some of the roughness. The second coat should cover everything.
To keep the (second color) blue out of the inside, I rolled paper and slid the roll into the tubes trying to get it as tight to the inside walls as possible.

Here's the Sunward Gravity Rider I built for Tim VanMilligan at Apogee Components. You can see more pictures of the build: CLICK HERE
Thanks to Tim for letting me use the website picture.

With all the angle cut tubes, this rocket just screams for a contrasting interior tube color. The red gives the impression the engines are firing, even when on display. Red was picked to match the trim decals.
Another model that uses this paint idea is the Pemberton Technologies Kraken rockets. To do it right, the sharp angle cuts of those tubes would require more complex masking.
I've been to launches where the builder simply painted the entire Kraken black. While it's still a great looking model, painting the tube interiors red would have really set it of.

4 comments:

  1. Your link gives a 404. Here is the new link;

    http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_4_Kits/Gravity_Rider

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott -
    I've gone to the post and added the revised address.
    (Some of the older addresses get changed over time.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I'm no where near your level of artistry, I'm working of the other hemisphere of my brain, but my rockets were selected to be shown at space camp for the regional scouts summer camp. I just want to thank you and apogee for showing me how to build an attractive rocket.

    Thanks!!!!!

    Scott.

    P.S. Reading all your posts from the beginning and trying to retain all the great knowledge - I just got tongue depressors and close pins for building a Quest Striker AMG - Making sure my fins are aligned. Thanks again for that 2010 tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Scott,
    Congrats on having your models chosen for for display at Space Camp!
    I'm glad the blog has helped. My methods certainly aren't the only way to get things done.
    Speaking of Apogee, I should have an new Peak Of Flight article coming out about tying "No Tangle Shroud Lines".
    It was too much to blog about and Tim has thousands of readers.

    On the Quest Striker -
    Those fins could crack off the plastic tail cone on landing. The root edges are glued half on, half off the body tube and tail cone. Be ready for some repairs after flight.

    ReplyDelete