Wednesday, July 14, 2010

MMX Quest FLIC - Don't Bother!


I've had a dozen Quest FLICs sitting in a box for a year now.
They send them as a "Freebie" with orders.

My youngest daughter has some fun with them, flying them with the rubber band launching stick.

I've had fun burning through too many surplus MMX engines lately and figured: "What the heck - why not?"
I got into my spare parts box and found some Quest MMX parts. That's a Quest MMX-2 body tube, .392" diameter. I sanded a Quest Micro Max nose cone to match the contour of the FLIC body.
Recovery was simple nose blow, thin Kevlar is anchored at the engine mount and nose cone.
A swing test told me to add a clay worm, pressed over the top of the FLIC side of the nose cone. After four other sucessful MMX launches I loaded up the FLIC.

At launch - It's stable! It got to a whopping 25 foot altitude and popped the nose cone.

Will it fly again? Maybe at the next Orlando R.O.C.K. monthly launch.
The guys always look to me to provide at least one laughable launch.

6 comments:

  1. OK, since you said not to bother, I'll see if I can find one of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By all means Dick - please, have at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of actually using one of these! I added a 'full length' motor tube, a spent-motor motor block, a spent motor stuffed with clay nose weight, a BiC pen tube lug. Mine will be simple lawn dart recovery. When the glue is dry, it will fly!

    I also found a 'Q E-Z Helicopter' and made a 'Q E-Z Monocopter' out of it using one blade, the hub and the wooden beam. Added an aftermarket MMX motor mount. Photos and instructions will be posted if successful.

    Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See my launch report over on The Dungeon. Similar results it appears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I told you - don't bother!
    But your FLIC did get five feet higher than my version. My FLIC did fly vertical though.
    You win the MMX Altitude award. Maybe we should change that to the MMX ATTITUDE Award!
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lost it on the second flight. It angled off again and went over the neighbor's house. This should have been pushing 30' as it's 2-story with a high roof. On my next one, I added a lug for a standard 1/8" rod vs. the wimpy MMX rod. This should reduce performance but hopefully will help it go in the intended direction - straight UP.

    ReplyDelete