Friday, July 16, 2010

Quest OOP Nike Smoke Build Part 1

I've always liked the Nike Smoke with it's clean, rakish lines. That long nose cone and fluorescent fins really set it off.

The parts available from Quest are very reasonable. The Nike nose cone is $1.25 and the fin can is $3.00. Their metric tubing is thicker than the Estes BT style. I already had some extra 35mm tubing.

I got a parts order from Quest today, only two days after ordering it online. (Oh boy - they sent another FLIC as a Freebie!)

A slight oversight on the Quest side, they sent me two "left side" nose cone halves - an easy mistake. While I could make due with it, the Nike Smoke nose cone had three cover plates. If I were to use these two left sides I would end up with only two plates. This picture doesn't show the Kevlar, parachute and shock cord. The Popsicle stick will be used to make a launch lug standoff. I emailed Nettie, a new nose cone is on the way!

I was surprised to find G. Harry Stine's drawings at: www.oldrocketplans.com/quest/que2007/que2007.htm Just scroll down to the bottom of the instructions for the plans and full size decal scan.

This looks to be a good, inexpensive build and a nearly indestructable flyer!

2 comments:

  1. Is this the exact same kit as the G. Harry Stine version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg,
      It's got most of the same parts! This was a parts build based on the old MPC and later Quest kit. I didn't use the very thick plastic launch lug that came with the MPC kit.

      Delete