Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New Saucer Design - Model Profile


Occasionally I'll post some pictures of something I've worked on from the past.

Here's my version of a Saucer, very loosely based on the old Centuri design without the blind embossed surface. It's 7 1/2" in diameter and 3 1/4 inches high.

The top was drawn on my laptop and printed to cardstock. that print was glued to thin foamboard making it light and very strong.
The "Landing Lights" were printed in yellow, but I alternated with some Monokote Chrome Trim dots, punched out with my rotary punch tool.

The four underside fairings were tough. Even though they are the same width from side to side, they would pull in when glued giving it a scalloped effect.

To correct this, the fairings would be drawn to "bow out" a bit in the middle. Next time, the outside edges of the internal fins will be cut shorter.





It'll fly again on a C6-0 at the N.E.F.A.R. launch in Bunnell, Florida on August 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment