Sunday, July 18, 2010

Quest OOP Nike Smoke Build Part 5

Just to test paint adhesion on the plastic, I lightly sprayed the fin can with gray primer and let it dry.
I stuck masking tape down on the dried paint and pulled the tape off quickly. I didn't lift any of the paint so I followed with a light coat of white.

I didn't notice this until after the first white coat of paint.
There were two short, deep scratches on the rear of the fin can.

I knew that wood filler wouldn't stay in a depression this shallow, so I borrowed a tip from my banjo building days.

A great guitar repairman named Dan Erlewine used clear super glue to fill small lacquer chips on guitar headstocks. After sanding to surface and polishing you can't tell the difference between the original lacquer and the CA fill.

I knew thick CA would stay in the shallow depression and sand down flat to the plastic surface. I would not use this trick on balsa, the dried CA is very hard compared to the surrounding balsa wood. This works best on plastic and concave seams on plastic nose cones.

In the first picture, the CA glue is set on on the scratch. the drop sits and dries higher than the surrounding plastic. Let it dry completely.
Here's the same area after sanding with 220 grit then 400 grit to surface. The two scratches are filled and I'm ready for another shot of gray primer.

1 comment:

  1. Dan is "The Man" when it comes to guitar repair. Several of his tips helped me to successfully install a bridge on a friend's Gibson Hummingbird and refret my 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom.

    ReplyDelete