Wednesday, July 7, 2010

TLP Phoenix 1.6" Fin Fillets


The Launching Pad Phoenix kit has cardstock "brackets" that cover up the longer front fin root edge joints. I really only have to be concerned with smooth fillets on the rear, square fins.

After two fillets of white glue, I could still feel roughness when I ran my fingernail over the dried fillets.

To smooth out the rough areas I dip just the tip of an old hobby knife blade into thinned Carpenter's Wood Filler.

Drag that drop of filler down the fillet joint.


I've never been able to form 400 grit sandpaper into a small sanding circle without creasing it.

I didn't want this fillet to be a sharp concave 90 degree corner, more a tight small curve.
I wrapped the sandpaper around the tip of a sharpened dowel, leaving the dowel tip just inside the sandpaper edge.

The last picture shows the fillet being sanded smooth.
Because the filler shinks when drying, I may have to go back and touch up with a little more filler and sanding again.


No comments:

Post a Comment