Friday, July 30, 2010

Old Range Box Part 1


This is my first Range Box, going back to 1969.
I still use it today.


I originally got it with by trading in 3 full books of S & H Green Stamps.

A few years back, stores would give out trading stamps, one for every dime spent.
You'd fill a up a book with stamps and could either trade it in for merchandise or get $3.00 in cash per book.



This range box was 3 books, probably close to $10.00 retail back then.
It was bigger than the Estes Range Box sold in their catalog.
When I was away from rocketry, this box held all my leatherwork supplies.
I thought of removing all the rocketry stickers then, but I'm now glad I kept them.

2 comments:

  1. Chris, not sure you will see this, since it’s an old post I’m replying to. I have such fond memories of trading stamps, and things my parents let me get. I have an old Miller Falls soldering gun, an almost identical copy of the more well known Weller gun. Got me started building my own frames for slot cars, which I dabbled in along with rockets, in the 60s. Also got my first aquarium with stamps. Besides S&H, we had Gold Bond in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      I saw a story yesterday on Facebook about somebody in my home town and S&H Green Stamps. An old friend and his Sister didn't have money to buy a Birthday gift for their Mother so they took some filled S&H stamp books from the kitchen drawer. Walked down to the S&H store and traded them for some drinking glasses for their Mother's gift. While their Mother appreciated the gesture, she was ticked off her kids took her filled books when she had other plans for the stamps trade.

      Delete