Sunday, July 18, 2010

OOP Quest Nike Smoke Build Part 6


Those bright orange centering rings won't look great on a scale model. Well, if on any rocket, the orange might go along with the fluorescent red and yellow fins on the Nike Smoke!
Still, I didn't want the orange centering ring to take away from the finished model.

Here is the mask for the black. I first tried to blacken the area with a Sharpie pen but it wouldn't reach far enough inside. I'll have to spray it.

An engine casing was set into the mount and masking tape wrapped around it and the engine hook. The outside of the ring was masked forward of the rear edge to be sure no orange would be peeking through.

Here's the finished mask after removing the tape. I don't paint over engine hooks. Chances are, paint will eventually chip off the metal.
To me, the shiny metal hook "accent" is almost like a little bit of chrome trim on a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment