Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rotary Hole Punch


Here's a great tool for punching the perfect sized holes in centering rings - a Rotary Hole Punch.

I bought mine at Home Depot for under $10.00.
You can also pick them up at Tandy Leather.
This is handy to have around the house to punch new holes in a belt or to shorten the shoulder strap on your daughter's purse.



Here, I've punched two holes in an old Estes centering ring. The "spoke" wheel was set at the largest tube, at 3/16" diameter.
A 1/8" launch lug has a perfect friction fit.

The other crescent shaped hole is how I now make notches for engine hook movement on the lower centering rings. It's much cleaner than I could ever cut with a hobby knife.

I use the smallest hole punch tube for shroud line holes on parachute material. It looks better and I'm sure is stronger than tearing a small hole with a sharpened pencil.

When making holes in parachutes or thin paper, set some heavier cardstock under the piece to be punched. Very thin material won't punch clean unless you have something with some "body" underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment