Thursday, July 22, 2010

Spray Paint Tips

Years back, when I built a scale model rocket, I'd have to go the extra and buy a can of flat spray paint. I had cans of flat white and gloss white, flat black and gloss black.
When I re-joined the hobby I had a revelation.
I was stuck buying new spray paint and it hit me.
Why bother buying two different cans of the same color?
I ended up buying gloss in the colors I use most - White, Black, Yellow, Orange and Red. I don't paint my rockets green or blue (unless it's dark blue) for obvious reasons. I finished up my shopping with one can of flat clear.
When I build scale, I finish the rocket with gloss. If the actual rocket had a flat finish, I follow up with the flat clear.

NOTE: As of 2021, I am now recommending ACE Hardware Premium Enamels for model rocket painting. The Ace Gloss White does not spray out a random, spattering "cottage cheese". The Ace bran paint is much better for touchups. Spray some paint into a small cup and touch-up using a brush.  
The paint in the picture is my old spray of choice - Rustoleum Painter's Touch - Ultra Coverage, 2X. I had to find a new paint after Krylon changed (and screwed up) it's formulation.

TIP! Water slide decals adhere better to a smooth, gloss finish. If a decal is placed on a flat finish, the edges won't stay down and the clear areas will "silver". So on scale models, apply decals over a gloss finish, let dry, then apply the flat clear coat.
ANOTHER TIP! Krylon Gloss Clear Coat is garbage! It'll turn your shiny finish to satin with one pass of the can. (Unless you buy the flat coat to purposely dull a gloss coat like I did!)

2 comments:

  1. What about Krylon Crystal Clear | Acrylic Coating 1303A in 2014. Has anything changed from the 2010 Krylon Gloss Clear Coat is garbage! ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,
    Krylon is not what it was years ago. They have changed formulas to many times.
    The trick with the Krylon Clear Coat is to do wet coats. It's tricky, thick enough to be wet but not enough to cause runs in the paint.
    If you were to do a mist coat with Krylon clear it will dull a glossy finish.
    I don't use clear acrylic coats on models anymore. Sometimes they will wrinkle and craze. In Florida humidity (at the launch site) the clear coat gets sticky!
    If you are able to get a good gloss finish with your color coats, stay with just that, without the clear coat. I seal decal edges with some Future rolled on with a Q-tip.
    Dip the Q-tip in the Future wipe off the excess on a paper towel and roll the tip over the decal. It doesn't take much.

    ReplyDelete