Monday, July 5, 2010

Fire and Forget! In progress build


I'd never built a "Fire and Forget" since my old Estes Streak back in the late 1960s.
This was a spare parts build, the main ST-7 body tube was even cut and notched for an engine hook.
That nose cone is a Semroc, I don't know the catalog number.
Fins were cut from some 3/32" balsa scraps.

In the first picture you can see the body is masked with my tape of choice - Scotch Tape.

For a paint scheme, I wanted to go classic with a simple Red and Black two-tone. I purposely masked the black nose area way below the top of body tube. This gives the illusion of a longer nose cone. This was easy since the nose cone / body tube joint was filled and smooth.

This shows the masking around the single black fin. Look close and you'll see multiple pieces of tape around the fin.

First pieces of tape were along the root edges. A second piece went over the tip of the leading edge. Finally two pieces were set at 45 degree angles around the tip to follow the rounded leading edge.

The 45 degree mask won't perfectly follow the round leading edge of the fin. In a future post I'll explain how to cut a mask to fit it even closer.

4 comments:

  1. You should add the gadget that lets you display labels, and start tagging your posts. That way related build steps and then the flight reports will be easily accessible as a set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geesh, ignore my comment. I don't know how I missed the labels. I guess I didn't see a list in the sidebar and went blind to them in the post. I ASSUMED :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting with 2010 and first five blogs I learned three things.

    So happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scott,
    Thanks! I'm glad somebody reads this thing.
    I'm getting close to the fourth anniversary and almost 3,000 posts.
    There's always something new to write about.

    ReplyDelete