Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fire and Forget - GOODBYE!


I went to the monthly NEFAR launch in Bunnell, Florida.

The Fire and Forget rocket was one of my first out of eight launches today.

The RSO read my description: "Anyone who finds it can keep it to fire and lose again. Say goodbye to my leetle friend!"

That 35 year old Centuri C6-7 engine worked like a charm. Straight boost and more tracking smoke than the newer engines have.

It was out of sight, and lost as expected.
Sorry about the out of fuzzy picture, but aren't those background tents in great focus?

Here's my Dr. Zooch Saturn V on a Estes C6-5. First time I've flown it on a "C", great straight boost. It landed on the road, just a little loose nozzle bell on landing.

Other sucessful flights: an Odd'l Rockets Wedgie on a C6-3, a Flis Diminuative Deuce on a 2 engine MMX cluster, Franken Goblin on a B6-4 and an Applewhite Monocopter on a A10-pt.

My only trouble flights were the Groove Tube clone. I'd flown it before on a A8-3 in the nearby schoolyard with no problems. Today I had two unstable flights with Quest B6-4s. I'll have to add some nose weight even though the original Centuri kit doesn't call for it in the instructions.

Other notable flights were: Brian Coyle's Hybrid, Carl Campbell's Saturn 1B on E18s, Gary Dahlke's Two-stage Dual Deploy (amazing-that's how it's done!) and John Bishop's Quest Magnum on a two engine cluster of C6-5s. There were many, many more low, mid and high power flights. I just don't know all the flyer's names yet.

A real highlight for me was meeting Eric Truax, he rode in from the Gainesville area. I learned quite a bit more about Carded Rockets. We compared notes and talked of some rocketry "personalities."

If you're not flying with a group - you should be!

1 comment:

  1. Meeting you was a real highlight for me too! Sorry I didn't get to shake your hand goodbye, as I was already kitted up for the ride back. ...and a long ride it was!
    I am very glad to have met you and also John, and carl, and Brian...etc- as it was my first club launch attendance. I am looking forward to more! MUST DRAW!! :D

    ReplyDelete