Monday, July 19, 2010

FLIC A10-3T SUCCESS!


I flew my (F2G2) Quest FLIC Shuttle with an A10-3T engine this morning.
F2G2 stands for FLIC Two, Generation Two.

In this second version, I glued a 10 1/2" BT-5 right down the middle of the normally rubber band launched FLIC. A plastic nose cone half filled with clay was my stability guarantee.


What a great, stable, high flight from such a cheap, simple, cool rocket!

I thought there might be a little lean with the slight offset of the engine, but it went straight up.

Full deploy of the streamer while it was slowing down, the nose cone still pointing up.
I just might have to make a few more of these.

Also flown at today's today "Lone Wolf" launch:
MMX Carded Zoom Broom, Carded Cherokee T Downscale on a 1/2 A3-2T, MMX Downscale Sky Writer and Downscale Carded MMX Red Max.

5 comments:

  1. Cool, I've got my next build lined up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, FLICS FAIL. It appears 18mm might be too big for a FLICS piggyback. I wanted to use scrap parts from a box that I 'inherited'....but....

    Do you have an unused FLICS that you could hold up/dry fit to an 18mm tube and let me know what you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I have any unused FLICS? Too many!
    That's why I did this in the first place!

    18mm is probably be too big. I went with the MMX engine first because I was trying to hide the body tube in the "V" of the FLIC.
    This workable, new version is a BT-5 tube cut to 10 1/2" with a plastic nose cone half filled with clay nose weight. I'd give the BT-5 a try with a full A engine under it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would 18mm work better with two (or three) FLICs instead of one (like the Estes Airshow)? I know, more weight in the butt end means still more nose weight, but also lots more fin area. The BT could still be longer though...

    Just thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John,
    It's probably possible to use more than one FLIC with an 18mm engine underneath it, that never crossed my mind. I picked the 13mm BT-5 tube with the single FLIC just because the visual balance looked right and I needed more power after the first MMX flight.
    If you have some FLICS, give it a try. Quest has them on sale for $.70 each right now.
    If you try it before I do, report back with your results. FLIC clusters?

    ReplyDelete